Content marketing—sharing your ideas and knowledge to attract and retain customers—has always been with us, but it’s enjoying a new vogue as customers increasingly tune out traditional sales pitches.
As with most “it” tactics, getting content marketing right is both harder than its most fervent proselytizers claim and easier than refuseniks fear. The first step toward success: getting real. With that in mind, we’ve created Content Marketing Myth vs. Reality, a new Strategy>Shift guide that busts eight myths we hear over and over again.
One myth that particularly sticks in our craw: It’s easy! We’ll just pull stuff out of our brains.
The reality is that brain extraction is a painful process that often results only in a pile of goo. When we imagine we will simply sit down (or, more typically, someone else will sit down) with the intent to create, and then meaningful, readable content will come pouring out, we usually are kidding ourselves. That’s true for professionals, and doubly true for everyone else. Regularly producing great content requires:
- A guiding strategy—what should we be talking about to highlight our expertise and support our business goals?
- Knowing what your audience wants and needs.
- An understanding of what good content is (useful, insightful, thought provoking, entertaining, or, optimally, all of those things).
- The ability to shape ideas and communicate them (verbally or visually) in ways that are compelling and relevant to the audience.
- Quality control—professional execution that delivers thoughtful copy and sophisticated visuals that support the sharp thinking and analysis.
- An editorial calendar for your reports, blog, video production, or whatever, to ensure that you’re not stuck on deadline without a good idea, and that you cover a mix of topics with timing that’s appropriate for your business.
Whether you have a content marketing program or are thinking about implementing one, Content Marketing Myth vs. Reality can help you focus on strategies and tactics that will set you up for success. Download the guide here.